Friday, August 18, 2006

Time to rest


I’ve been feeling guilty and ashamed of being in pain and needing time to heal from my surgeries. Somehow, I’d come to believe that it was my secret laziness at fault for my suffering, or a lack of gumption that makes me take so long to heal, and that I don’t deserve any extra time or rest. I’m allowing other people to take care of me and that feels shameful.

Charlie tells me that there is no shame in the body, sick or well. He says that I should give myself as much pleasure as I can because pleasure is healing.

He says I should eat foods that are comforting and nurturing and drink lots of water. He says I have to move, however gently, and I have to give myself the time I need to heal — and it may be a long time, so I’ll need patience as well as perseverance.

Charlie tells me not to be ashamed to ask for help, not to be afraid to depend on others. He reassures me that my husband’s love will give him the strength and desire to help me and that he won’t be brought low, but lifted up on his acts of kindness.

Charlie tells me never to give up. He says that life is a struggle, sure it is, but that the struggle and the pleasure will never end, and I shouldn’t wish them away, that it would be best to embrace them both in balance. He tells me to rest and pamper myself.

Movement and rest, nutritious food and water, love and kindness and trust are all means to heal our bodies when they’re sick and strengthen them when they’re well. There’s a whole lotta power in the healing things which can’t be bought.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I’m damned grateful for medical science, and I’d say that we’re blessed to have the scientific technologies, laboratory medicines, and university-trained surgeons to help us when we’re sick, but there are other technologies, medicines, and healers as well. Why not use them all? Do we think that those which can’t be bought for money have no value?

And why are so many of us taught to be ashamed of our weaknesses? Why do we feel like outcasts when we’re sick?

May love heal you,
Lilly

2 Comments:

At Friday, August 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am with you for the long-term baby. Can't get rid of me that easily. LOL. Jack

 
At Tuesday, August 22, 2006, Blogger LauraHinNJ said...

May love heal you, as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home