Sunday, October 22, 2006

Doing nothing is a wonderful thing to do

After driving an hour each way to work and fighting my way through the day, I came home exhausted and discouraged . . . and then I went for a walk in the rain.

Just a walk around town, through the dark, deserted streets, in the pouring rain with my umbrella. I wandered, walking up one street and down another. I stopped often, just listening to the sound of the rain on the pavements, on the dying leaves, the water pouring down the drains, the swish of tires as an occasional car passed by.

I stopped by the creek to watch water rush under the bridge. I stopped in the little park with the playground and delighted at the glittering of the wet sliding board under the street lamps. I stopped for a long time by the side of a back street, watching bubbles form on the rain running along the gutter, running like a miniature river with leaves for boats, and watching the bubbles form and burst and run down in little eddies and currents and disappear under a pile of soggy, yellow leaves.

And I felt heartened and refreshed.

All day long, I did what was expected of me. I worked, I produced, I drove my car. I made money and I spent money and it drained my soul. Standing out in the rain, going nowhere, doing nothing, fed me, strengthened me, and made me whole again.

The irony, of course, is that the things I do that use me up are rewarded and the things I do that nurture me are considered wasteful. Doing nothing is frowned upon, because doing nothing is a subversive act in a social machine that uses our work like fuel.

And was I doing nothing of value? Is listening nothing of value? Is seeing the world nothing of value? Children should be spending whole days lazing about in back yards, watching the clouds change shape, or running along the sidewalks for no reason but the joy of running. These were considered normal childhood activities when I was a kid, but they are now no longer acceptable. We schedule our kids as pitilessly as we schedule ourselves, and in their “down time” they are expected to consume. The mind has no time to heal.

Who benefits when we are forced to produce or consume at every moment? Who benefits from our passive entertainments and the constant harassment of our minds and spirits?

Being in the body on the earth is not nothing. It is something—it's really something! It's special and wonderful and worthy of our time and attention. I would urge you to take some time, lots of time, to be unproductive, to sit and smile up at the sky, to walk nowhere, play with a twig, hum a little melody, stretch, skip down the street. Just look at the fascinating wonders of the world around you, just empty your ears of the human noise, and you will be strengthened and refreshed. Just rest.
Love,
Lilly

2 Comments:

At Sunday, October 22, 2006, Blogger MojoMan said...

I like that line about people being expected to consume in their down-time. Why is it OK - or even normal or expected - for a guy to spend an entire Sunday afternoon watching a football game (with all its advertisements), but considered selfish, wasteful or eccentric to spend the same amount of time sitting quietly in nature contemplating the universe?

 
At Sunday, October 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All that you said there was true. And the thing is that we've forgotten even how to appreciate that "down" time. We have to remember to truly appreciate the little things, waking up to the wind in the trees, coffee on the porch, the little daily rituals. If we aren't loving those, and we're always looking forward to some big adventure, such a small percentage of our time will be appreciated.

I wish you didn't have to drive all the time, riding my bike around, I see how miserable the people in cars tend to be. People become differnt, too, frusterated, more aggressive, in cars. Hopefully you wan't have to do that for long. Or maybe you can learn how to do zen driving? Perhaps there is a way out of anything frusterating? I don't know.

Anyway, just a couple of lines in leiu of an email--tho i know people can just read this, but who cares--things in Tucson are good and I'm trying to balance work and play and downtime but ther is definitly still downtime, lots of it spent with a special friend... also excitement and planning for the future. the hardest thing here is missing the rain (that's funny because you just wrote about a rainy day). and of course everyone in ithaca! but I will see you all soon (the 7th) and I'll call about when my flight is coming in soon. I love you all so much, now I must get back to work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home